In the quest for sustainable weight loss, people have turned to various methods and fad diets, often without lasting success. However, an ancient healing practice that has been gaining popularity in recent years holds promise for those seeking a holistic approach to shedding extra pounds – acupuncture. Rooted in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), acupuncture aims to address the imbalances in the body that contribute to weight gain. In this blog, we will explore how acupuncture works, losing weight with acupuncture, and what to expect during a typical acupuncture session.
Acupuncture is an integral part of Traditional Chinese Medicine and is based on the principle that the body’s vital energy, or “Qi” (pronounced “chee”), flows through meridians. When these energy pathways become blocked or imbalanced, it can lead to various health issues, including weight gain. Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine, sterile needles at specific points along these meridians to restore the flow of Qi and promote overall well-being.
Losing Weight With Acupuncture
While studies show acupuncture is an effective treatment for weight loss and obesity, a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen is important as well. Here are some ways acupuncture will aid in weight loss:
- Appetite Regulation: Acupuncture can help regulate hormones related to hunger and satiety, reducing cravings and overeating tendencies. Sometimes signals fail to let us when we’re full. This causes a huge problem for people struggling to lose weight.
- Improved Digestion: Acupuncture can stimulate the digestive system, aiding in better nutrient absorption and waste elimination. This is important for patients who suffer from chronic constipation. Having healthy bowels is needed for weight loss.
- Stress Reduction: Stress can lead to emotional eating and weight gain. Acupuncture promotes relaxation and reduces stress, which in-turn will help prevent stress-induced eating.
- Hormonal Balance: Imbalances in hormones like insulin and cortisol can impact metabolism and fat storage. Acupuncture can help restore hormonal equilibrium.
- Increased Energy: As acupuncture promotes better energy flow, it can lead to increased vitality and motivation to engage in physical activities.
The Acupuncture Experience For Weight Loss
If you’re considering acupuncture for weight loss, here’s what you can expect during a typical session:
- Initial Consultation: During the acupuncture consultation, we will dive into your genetic makeup, medical history, lifestyle, and environmental factors to design a personalized weight loss plan. This approach recognizes that what works for one person may not work for another.
- Treatment Plan: Based on the assessment and our conversation, together we will create a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. The treatment plan will fit your goals and busy lifestyle so that it is easily achievable.
- Acupuncture Session: During the acupuncture session, you will lie comfortably on a table while I gently inserts thin needles into the designated points on your body. The procedure is generally painless and may last for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Follow-Up Visits: To achieve optimal results, multiple acupuncture sessions are recommended. The number of sessions will depend on individual factors. In addition, bi-weekly nutritional visits will be scheduled in addition to acupuncture sessions.
Losing weight with acupuncture offers a unique and holistic approach, targeting the root causes of weight gain rather than just the symptoms. In addition to acupuncture, Functional Medicine will be used to identify any imbalances in the body’s systems that may contribute to weight gain, such as hormonal imbalances, gut health issues, inflammation, or insulin resistance.
Learn How to Eat for Weight Loss
Acupuncture will help with cravings, reduce appetite, reduce stress eating, and improve digestion, however, acupuncture cannot control what you eat. It has to be through your own will-power. During your appointments, I will help you learn what to eat to help you reach your goals. In the meantime, you can start to incorporate the following:
- Balance your meals: Aim to include a variety of food groups in each meal to ensure you get a well-rounded mix of nutrients. A balanced plate typically includes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Portion control: Be mindful of portion sizes to avoid overeating. Listen to your body’s hunger and fullness cues, and try not to eat until you feel overly stuffed. During your sessions you learn how to weigh your food to avoid overeating.
- Eat mindfully: Slow down and savor your meals. Pay attention to the taste, texture, and aroma of the food you’re eating. Avoid distractions like screens or multitasking while eating.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Sometimes, feelings of hunger can be mistaken for thirst.
- Limit processed foods: Minimize your intake of processed and ultra-processed foods, as they often contain excessive amounts of unhealthy fats, sugars, and sodium.
- Prioritize fruits and vegetables: Incorporate a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables into your diet, as they are rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Enjoy healthy fats: Include sources of healthy fats like avocados, nuts, seeds, and olive oil. They are essential for brain health and overall well-being.
- Be mindful of sugar and added sugars: Reduce your consumption of sugary foods and beverages. Excess sugar can contribute to various health issues.
- Plan your meals: Take some time each week to plan your meals and snacks. This can help you make healthier choices and avoid impulsive, less nutritious options.
- Practice moderation, not deprivation: Allow yourself occasional treats and indulgences, but remember to consume them in moderation.
Remember that everyone’s dietary needs and preferences are different. It’s essential to find an eating pattern that works best for you and supports your individual health goals. What works for a social media influencer, may not work for you. Working with a healthcare professional will ensure a safe and effective approach tailored to your individual needs.